Monday, April 29, 2013

Poetry response #3

Emily
4/28/13
    By The Shore by Edward Carpenter.  I chose that poem this week because it was descriptive and made you feel like you were actually by the shore.  At the beginning of the poem it really gave me an image of what was going on  “The obscure water, the long white lines of advancing foam, the rustle and thud, the panting sea-breaths, the pungent sea-smell.”  In that line there is also a metaphor, “the panting sea-breaths” the sea isn’t actually panting either the waves are loud or the wind is loud or perhaps both.   “Suddenly I am the Ocean itself: the great wind creeps over my face”   that line is also a metaphor for the wind blows on him and he is one with the sea.   I also like this line “And the sea is a sea of faces”  that is a metaphor and it is saying that the sea has many parts to it.  I like this poem because the author immersed himself with the sea, he took a simple topic and made a beautiful poem.  

No comments:

Post a Comment